Thursday, October 06, 2005

Drop ins 88-90

I was looking over the 25th anniversary CD, and I found a few tracks that weren't properly attributed to... well me.

NOTE: The files are linked to a tiny geocities account - as I was checking them tonight - the site went dead because of too much traffic - if the links don't work, try again in one hour. Thank you.

THANK YOU FOR USING WXCI
In a conversation, a DJ in training told me how she could sound just like the directory assistance on the phone. That gave me an idea. I put her on the phone and recorded her saying a few lines into the speaker phone, and then I spent a half hour calling as many bad numbers as I could with the tape running. A few hours later - and the addition of a Kraftwerk song about telephones (don't remember, the record disappeared shortly afterwards)... and this is what you hear.

THE 90's STATION
It was 1989. WXCI at 91.7fm, was technically the first station in the 90MHz range on your radio dial in Danbury. Many people could get stations lower on the dial... maybe even closer to 90... but despite the stretch I went with it. We recorded three or four of these 90's drops. I wanted to do some cool things in the 'year of XCI' 1991, but nobody else at the station was impressed with the coincidence, plus the first semester of 1991 was my last at WESTCONN, so I didn't really press it.

CHEAPER THAN BEER
There's nothing much to say about this short and sweet drop that I did with Mike Wright. For me both statments were true. WXCI was better than any drug... and it was cheaper than beer. Ok, it sucked time like a room full of video games... but that's another story. This is probably one of the last pieces of production I did before I left for Texas (on my World tour... didn't get too far, did I?)

The three previous drops didn't have my name by them because a lot of times I wrote and produced things without my own voice - one exception is "The Temple of New Music". However, unlike the copy that was put on the anniversary CD, transferred from our MONO Carts... the original recording was produced in stereo. I went back to the master tape to bring you this:

TEMPLE OF NEW MUSIC (IN STEREO)

A few things about the recording of "Temple". First, it was an outdoor recording. I think it was one of a handfull that I recorded outside the studio. Another I remember was assembled from a week's worth of micro-cassette recordings called:

DROP IN MTV STYLE

For "Temple", I had better equipment: A brand new Tascam 4 track Portastudio that ran on four D-cells. Jay and I each had an EV635 hand held microphone WITHOUT pop screens. It was probably November 1990 - so it was pretty cold. We recorded this in one take standing in a pile of leaves outside the Roberts Ave School. The leaves in the beginning are us walking through them. I took it back to the studio, added the music on track 4 and recorded the two tag lines - Jay's with an echo - and then the guru's last lines back in the production room. And I was done. Crazy how I can remember all that from - gasp - 13 or so years ago.

Then there was one cut on the CD that wasn't mine at all. Track 45 - Peer Pressure was probably Gregg Vegas and a guy who I can see in my minds eye - but can't think of his name. I want to say he was one of three guys named Rob who were at the station... but he also could have been one of two Dan's... hmmm... this is no help... good night.

If you have production you want to link to, or have posted here... just drop me a line.

RF

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home