Thursday, December 15, 2005

Rob Radio at the Big Y...

Just wanted to let you all know who I ran into at the Big Y in Newtown the other day... none other than Rob Radio!

He's been living here for the past five years or so (I assume he is somehow attached to someone, but we didn't chat for long), and he's working for an ad agency in NYC.

I told him about the website... let's hope he checks it out and sends a message to y'all! He looked pretty much the same, except for a bit of gray in his hair.

But then, don't we all have some?



Blogger Rabbett said...

What's the Big Y? ( I thought I knew Newtown pretty well as I used to work at FFH while going to school but the Big Y escapes me )

1:48 PM  
Blogger Donuts and Coffee said...

Super market. They allow them in Newtown now. Back in the old days you had to shop at the Grand Union or the A&P, in the burough. Now there is a strip mall in Botsford, (South - route 25).

The Town hall still has movies for $2.00. This week, (2 before Christmas), "Elf".

5:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you worked at FHH? It's been closed for ages, and the buildings are moldering away while the town tries to make up its mind what to do with them.

Newtown now also has two senior condo complexes and they're trying to build more. It's grown waaay too much!

3:00 AM  
Blogger Rabbett said...

Well Pam, I have been gone for ages. Yes, I worked at ADAM house which was a theraputic community for like 13-18 year olds. We had a max of 40 kids. A lot of poly drug users , 2 schizophrenics and a bunch of kids who were either court committed for like stealing cars and some whose parents did not want them anymore and were wartds of the state. I was a counselor and did group therapy, gestalt and family therapy. Our goal was to get the kids back out and in to society. We worked with them to get them to be pretty much self sufficient and our success rate was pretty good.

ADAM house was associated with EDON house (end dependency on narcotics) which treated mainly heroin addicts and other folks, many of whom were court committed.

We used Litchfield and Bridgewater Houses and after 3 years I got burnt out and I left to do radio at HCN in Hartford and then DRC - then I came to Hawaii Jan 15, 1979 and have remained ever since except for a 90 day run in 1980 at PLR2 ( WOMN AM) in Hamden. ( I had quit a job here, could not collect and came back to see what I could get and Jay Crawford hired me before I even got back. I was about to turn the station on when I heard that John Lennon had been shot. I was listening to WELI which was down the road from the house we used in Hamden for PLR2. I left to come back to Hawaii end of December 1980 because an old girlfriend missed me and my first Hawaii boss offered me a morning show at KQMQ FM....

FFH was a trip. I hope the town can sort it all out. It is a great piece of property.

Did you know that the first crazy folks who stayed there were farmers who had gone a bit off the deep end. It was originally set up to be a self sufficent farm and the patients ran a dairy farm there while they were having treatment. The last lobotomy patient I remember was a guy named Joe from Bridgeport. l He had hatcheted his wife. He was pretty much like a parrot. He would repeat things you said to him over and over.

FFH did a lot of people a lot of good and for it's day it was a decent facility.

It was a good experience working there but I am so glad I got out of the mental health field before I went bonkers myself ;)

4:18 PM  
Blogger Donuts and Coffee said...

I have added a link to the Newtown Bee with a story on the development at the old hospital. The Town did indeed purchase the property from the state and will renovate it for use, a new town hall, fire and police stations and recreation. If you visit the "Bee's" web site put "FFH" into the search in the upper right an 44 articles will be available.

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home