Monday, October 03, 2005

Message from Brian Burgess

Hi, my name is Brian Burgess and I am one of the old dinosaurs of WXCI (I'm the guy usually referred to as "BJ"). I was there at the beginning....literally. My first "show" was the 3rd one that the station ever "broadcast" (we were just piped over the PA system in the student union). Bob Wilson, the founder of the station did the first two broadcasts. This was during freshman orientation in September 1969....well before any thoughts of an award-winning FM station at ol' White Street University.

Been looking over your blog and I think it's great. I'll probably get around to posting on it eventually. One thing really stuck out to me however. Tom Zarecki's post about how WXCI was called that contains a major inaccuracy. There wasn't another
station with the call letters WSCT. There was (and is) a station in Stamford CT with the call letters WSTC.

Don't know if it's still true, but back then part of the license application process was to notify every radio station in the area of our plans to go FM.

WSTC voiced some concerns that WSCT was a little too close to their moniker, so a bunch of us brainstormed a bunch of alternatives and came up with WXCI. It was simply something that nobody could possibly have issues with.

I wrote up (actually dashed off) a "history of WSCT/WXCI" for the 25th anniversary party, but I think it was tucked away somewhere in the alumni office. I have a copy here and I could send it along to you if you're really interested about the sordid beginnings of the station from 1968-1973. It's not worthy of a Pulitzer, but I think it helps to know about the station's really humble beginnings to fully appreciate how far the dedicated students have taken the station.

I wrote it not only because my brain cells are having a more difficult time dredging up memories than they used to, but also because I felt that today's WXCIers need to know the station wouldn't exist but for the efforts of two guys named Bob. Bob Wilson and Bob Mallory. Bob Wilson was the founder of the station, and Bob Mallory was our first chief engineer. Without their efforts, we never would have gotten off the ground, much less gone FM.

Anyway, let me know if there's anything you want to know about WXCI's first baby steps. I am still in contact with a bunch of guys who were around back then (like Bruce Anderson, who clued me in to your site), and I'm sure a lot of them have some tales worth telling.

Again, great site.... thanks for your efforts to keep the flames burning.

BJ in the paleolythic era of WXCI

Brian J. Burgess
Life member 1973
WSCT/ WXCI 9/69- 8/77 ( yeah, I just couldn't let go)

So I said... Sure, send it along!!! That sounds like the perfect thing for this blog type thing - RF

1 Comments:

Anonymous Bob Wilson said...


Hi Brian,
Bob Wilson here. Just thought I would drop a note on my 71st birthday (4/17/1950)

Thank you for all the years of keeping track of WXCI which as you know was refered to as WSCT briefly when is was a closed circuit system on campus.

I have had some health setbacks but am still active out here in Tennessee.
My next project will hopefully be the creation of a recording studio in a building I bought. Please say hello to all the 'old timers' for me and thank those that keep this dream we had going all these years!

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home