Monday, October 03, 2005

Wikipedia entry

Doing a search for WXCI, I found this at wikipedia.org

WXCI - a pioneering alternative rock radio station
The college radio station is WXCI, 91.7 FM, obtained its FCC license to operate on 28 February 1973. Initially transmitting at 10 watts of power, WXCI upgraded to 760 watts in 1978. In 1982, WXCI was one of the first FM stations to focus on alternative rock, a format now common among US college radio stations. As one of a handful of stations playing alternative rock in the US in the early 1980s, WXCI helped popularize new bands such as U2, Culture Club, Duran Duran, and Black Flag.



That paragraph is repeated on a few other websites, but whoever wrote it forgot Midnight Oil. There were many bands who only got airplay thanks to WXCI, but Midnight Oil was the first band that we recieved a gold record for. I'll never forget it. A gold record to put in our front office. I think we recieved a few more while I was there in the late 80's and 90's. Proud moments.

I don't remember seeing them the last time I visited. But I might not have been looking for them... and the studio's been moved and changed several times since that time (including that unfortunate time in White Hall's basement... yuck).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home