Friday, October 14, 2005

Message from Current WXCI GM

My name is Joe Mariano I'm the current GM of WXCI, first off I'd like to say thank you to you and all of the WXCI alum I've never met for really blazing the trail for myself and all the current student DJs we have on the air. I went to the WXCI 80's website and found the conversation Rich had between himself and someone else trying to explain what a cart is, pretty ironic given that now we are starting to go digital with the music. I think I've had the same conversation about a hundred times in the last year in regards to automation.

I'm e-mailing you today in regards to WXCI 33rd birthday in February. What I would really love to do is that Saturday February 26th pretty much turn the station over to the alumni and let them spin all day on Saturday. I was going to see if I have any old play-list from back then to see what the heavy rotation songs and any old production to play on the air that weekend.

Also the new wxci.org should be up in about 2 weeks, unfortunately things have been so crazy (surprise, surprise) I haven't had a chance to work on it. Please let the alum know that if they want to keep up to date with station activities to check out myspace.com/wxci we currently have a page there and if they wish to be put on the WXCI News & Notes e-mail list please let them know to e-mail the request to be added to mailing list. Furthermore our web broadcast should be up and running again by days end.

Finally I would like to extend an invitation to all alum to stop down at the station during our staff meetings on Wednesday nights at 8pm and tell their stories about the station in the 70' and 80's and early 90's and what they have been up to. Also DON'T FORGET!!! WXCI is throwing our Halloween Bash at The Monkey Bar in Danbury, CT on Oct. 29th and we would love to see some alums there.

Again please extend my thanks to all alum. I'm a big believer in knowing where you came from and would love to hear some of the experiences you guys had. If my staff or I can help with anything please feel free to contact me. wxcigm@yahoo.com

Our Staff Meeting Scheadule for the rest of the semster is as followed:

October 26
November 9
November 30
December 7
December 14


Thank you,

Joe Mariano

General Manager 91.7 WXCI

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way - June 29th is WXCI's 33 1/3rd anniversary

12:56 PM  
Blogger Jeff M. said...

I find this quite amusing:
"I was going to see if I have any old play-list from back then to see what the heavy rotation songs and any old production to play on the air that weekend."
Heavy rotation songs? When we were doing rock shows back in the mid-70s -- particularly "Night Rock" every night from 11 to 2 -- the only thing "heavy rotation" meant was that the record on the turntable weighed a bit more than others. We played whatever came to mind -- often only seconds before a song ended. And the only playlists were the handwritten logs we kept of what we played. (Unfortunately, mine all vanished 20 years ago; now they're just in my head.) What made each DJ's show unique was often the records we brought in from our personal LP collections. It was exciting, seat-of-your-pants radio... too bad nobody could hear it more than about a block from campus!

7:26 PM  
Blogger BJ the gruntled said...

Joe,

Thanks for your gracious offer. Back when we had the 25th anniversary, GM Mike Repucci did the same thing, and I was deeply touched that the current air staff would step aside and let a bunch of dinosaurs come in and fiddle with the equipment.
What a joy it was to see how easy it was to cue up a CD.
Why, back in the old days, we used to have to walk a mile in the snow barefoot to cue up some scratchy old vinyl album.LOL.
The fact that the station leadership continues to appreciate the people who came before them just shows once again that WXCI is the best!!

4:09 PM  
Blogger BJ the gruntled said...

Ooops.......

Make that Bill Repucci in the previous comment. Sorry Bill!


I went to high school with a Mike Repucci. I think it's Bill's older brother, and I had a brain fart.

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home