Wednesday, October 12, 2005

SuperStereoPhonicWXCI NewMusicFrequencyMan

Nice job on the site Rich! I Love It! I’ve been thinking a lot about the old days lately… then Morgan sends me this hideous pic of a bunch of us at an XCI picnic.
(SEE BELOW)
I recognize Pam & JR. Can’t tell who that is next to me…or the guy on the end. Ed perhaps? Anyway, Morgan reminded me of “SuperStereoPhonicWXCI NewMusicFrequencyMan”…I’ve got a tape of that somewhere! Quite possibly the original master. I hope it hasn’t fallen apart. I’ll see if I can salvage it and get a copy out for all to enjoy!

I’ve never given it much thought over the years, but XCI was one of the most important things I’ve ever done in my life! It is the reason I stayed in school when I was having doubts (then again, all that time spent in the Prod Room almost made me flunk out!), and without ever making a conscious career choice, it led to a job (in fact it was Bruce Goldsen that gave me my first shot on-air job)…that led to another, and another etc. Here it is over 20 years later and I’m writing this from a Production Room over-looking Invesco Field, the Pepsi Center and Coors Field. I spent some time in the “Upper Dial” playing that “evil icky drippy pop music”, but it really didn’t hurt.

I miss everybody…

Bill (I’m sorry I didn’t get you anything when I was your secret Santa…I still owe you) Baker…
Pete (the Mad Scientist with the “Pirate Station” in his basement made from spare parts that meant the old lady down the street could pick up the Sex Pistols on her toaster) Partenio…
Darryl (taught me to pronounce “W” – doub LL you) Ohrt…
Kandi (I’m sorry I played Donovan…I won’t do it again) Wilkins…
Scott (talked me into joining XCI in the first place) Brunjes…
Ed the Frat Guy (with whom I co hosted the Zappa show)…
Morgan (nice legs fella) Williams…
Kirk (You and Morgan - Wednesday Nights at Promise’s Nu Music Nights were the best night out in town) Michaels…
Boy Troy (who mooned me in the middle of my very first on-air newscast and made me laugh out-of-control during a story about a doctor performing abortions on women he knew were not pregnant) Smith…
Robin (I can’t believe the mic was on when you called yourself a “Fucking idiot” on WINE) Blake
Christa (the coolest girl I ever knew) Sarracco
Anne (-archy) Corey
Greg (will you please play “My Pal Foot Foot?) Vegas
Hugh (I can graduate?) McCarney
The guy who hosted “Doors” who got me a good lawyer when I needed one.
JR, RobRadio, Dave Rinelli, Pam Meister, Bill Walsh, Greg Higgins…and all the rest I couldn’t quite remember…

Oh, and OUR HOST…Rich (want to buy a Volare?) Frohlich!

Thank you all for the memories!

Randy Frongillo
Writer/Producer
KLZ - Z560 ESPN Radio
2150 W. 29th Avenue, suite 300
Denver, CO 80211
303-433-5500
303-801-0435 direct

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home