Tuesday, October 04, 2005

My first visit to WXCI

I've always had trouble carrying a cup of hot coffee. I don't know why, but no matter how careful I am; no matter what I'm doing, seven out of ten times it will spill. If I'm just sitting at a table. No problem. But ask me to move it from one place to another, and there could be trouble.

I had a fresh cup of coffee that I had carried all the way from the basement during my visit to WXCI. It was in the fall of 1985. I was a freshman at WestConn, and I was on my way to meet some friends at the gameroom. Walking by XCI, I decided to look inside and see what the place was all about.

I was instantly met by Bill Baker. I think he was just leaving that day's Morning Sickness. I'm not quite sure what happened, but when we met, some of my coffee jumped out of my cup and spilled on the carpet.

I think the carpet must have been new or something, because Bill made a big deal about it. He probably said something like, "Why can't we ever keep anything nice?", and added something else about freshmen english majors.

I quickly left.

Later I joined the staff of the Echo, and didn't return to WXCI until two semesters afterwords. I'm not sure if I deliberately waited until Bill had graduated, but things just worked out that way. Of course my big coffee stain was waiting for me when I returned, but by that time nobody knew but me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home