Monday, October 24, 2005

It's Five o'clock Straight up!

I was strangely reminded of an expression some dj's used at the top of the hour during my time at XCI.

Sometimes you'd hear someone say: "It's 5 o'clock straight up".

I think the PD at the time (I can't remember who) suddenly thought that it had an 'off color' connotation - I guess some people have their drinks 'straight up'... or maybe there was another more obvious insinuation... hmmm....

Anyhow - I remember his or her ears would perk up every time the expression was oralized. It was a HELL of a time getting the dj's to lay off the phrase.

A sign was even erected.

Personally I may have said - "it's 5 o'clock vertical" once or twice in defiance. But the PD was pretty bent out of shape about it and I had to take it seriously, being a board member and all... now it just seems kind of silly.

When you think of all the legitimate filth that's broadcast today... innuendo seems more so adorably cute and innocent and a bit more creative - (not to be confused with re-creative).

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeff M. said...

It seems to me that only 6 o'clock can be "straight up". Five o'clock is going to close to straight up. 5:05 is going to be straight, but at an angle.

Hey, I calls it like I sees it.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home